Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Privacy piracy: In a home near you

"What I want to see is pure, unadulterated blogging – a total exposé."

It's a gutsy thing to say considering I've just moved in with him. But he meant it, and I knew it, because he's the sort of man who likes to get down to the gritty uncomfortable truth of ... everything.

My other new flatmate, his long-term partner and also my friend (the one who brought me along as her fashion assistant for a day) immediately clocked the risks, "No, no, no, no, no!"

The rest of their dialogue was lost on me, with both arguments presented simultaneously, enthusiastically, and with English accents, so I only caught her "last word", which went something like this:

"...because I don't want the world to read about my shit taste in films and your insane rants!"

With that, she won.

I assured them I'd never expose their private life on my blog – despite that I find them both to be fascinating individuals and exponentially so as a couple. Besides, they've been loving enough to offer me their spare room in a beautiful area of London, helping make it a little less expensive for a bit and a lot more likely I'll be able to stay. That, and it was only my first night here.

Then, illustrating her point, we settled in with a glass of Merlot to watch the last half of Bridges of Madison County – still on pause since I arrived with my bags an hour earlier – and then he led a short analytical discussion about family values and gender inequalities.

While I made a quiet little wish about how I hope these two stay together forever, I also decided to make an exception to my promise, and write about them ... just this once.

This is to illustrate how I'm not actually invading my sweet friends' and benefactors' privacy – except maybe just a little.

7 comments:

petro said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I feel almost famous for appearing on the blog not once but twice. Will try and talk 'him' out of topless tuesdays for you. x

Beth said...

Fortunately, I have to head south to care for a sick friend – I think she has man-flu – so I'll be missing most of Topless Tuesday. Maybe by the time I get back, around midnight, he'll be safely contained in your bedroom...

x

Sophie said...

You know, you can always start an anonymous blog so you can talk shit about your loved ones. *wink* At least that's why mine is anon.

noelle

wyliekat said...

Am I confused? Is your boyfriend the same person as her boyfriend? Poly-what now?

Beth said...

noelle - are you related to me by any chance???

wyliekat - No, no, no. Nothing so complicated. I've moved again. BUT, these two new friends of mine are best friends of my bf, so we have a nice little family starting.

Unknown said...

I hope you've enjoyed my restraint of late. You must be warned though, this restraint cannot last. Topless Tuesday will return and will be enforced. I also haven't ranted about reality TV or let loose about the Jackson over-reporting yet - those bad boy rats are gonna be big....unlike trouserless thursdays.

Beth said...

Oooooh!

Do you have the same feeling I do that governments worldwide are using the MJ distraction to slip new policies in without anyone noticing?

Also, because I knew the moratorium on Topless Tuesday wouldn't last, I've scheduled a flight back to Canada for exactly that day.

x