Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Naked in the back yard

My mouth was still agape when my friend's neighbour came out into their communal courtyard to see what all the laughter and chatter was about, and caught me kneeling on the ground with my camera, taking pictures of the terrible thing she'd done.

Our eyes met, and I wasn't sure what to say. Both mortified and fascinated, I had a flashback to my junior high school library, where I had the unfortunate timing to walk in on one of the special needs kids playing with himself among the stacks. Scandalized, I did what any 13-year-old girl would do, I told all my friends, just like what's happening now.

Confronted by the guilty neighbour, I knew the polite thing to do would be to look away from the living atrocity before us, but there I was, taking pictures of it instead.

She immediately began apologizing. "I had to do it," she said. "I had to do it." She went on to say something about matted hair and hot weather, but I didn't catch all her excuses, because I found the nudity entirely distracting.

I suspect in an attempt to salvage a vestige of pride, the cat began grooming himself in front of us. The scene was both sweet and pathetic, and so we did the only thing we could, we took more pictures.

Click the photos for the larger view. It's seriously worth doing, for the booties alone.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is simply no way for a feline to retain any shred of dignity in this case. None whatsoever.

(in other words, glad you shared with your friends)

paperback reader said...

Oh, the humanity. Not literally, of course.

Anonymous said...

OMG, a lion cut. stunning. i will have sweet dreams tonight...

Beth said...

Oh the inhumanity!

The cat's name (perhaps by no coincidence) is Léon. Or, Lion, in French.

Anonymous said...

Leon?

*bwahahahahahahahahaha*

Anonymous said...

Good lord...

The booties!! Oh, the booties...

So now you have to think of a caption and put it on lolcats, right? Right?

Anonymous said...

That was nice of the groomer to leave him that little bit of tail fur.

I'm Kate... said...

Ohhhh poor kitty kitty!!!! Its actually kind of cute!!! haha! Those are some great looking UGGS! :)

Kirsten said...

LMAO! I can't believe you have such disgusting neighbors!

Beth said...

Sick. There is a lot of sickness in the world.

(I thought they looked like UGGS, too, making his look even sicker, in the literal, animal-abuse sense of the word.)