Friday, March 21, 2008

Thanks, Pussy Ranch-cum-Diablo Cody

This year, I cried watching the Oscars. It was as close as I've ever come to winning one. I held my breath, and, with the announcement, I cried. It's taken me a few weeks to admit that to anyone, so I might as well admit it to you all. When Diablo Cody mounted the stage in her million-dollar shoes, I remembered a time before she was Diablo Cody, during her early days of blogging, and most of the hits to this blog came from her's. Back then, what you're reading now was called, You Silly Girl. Her's was Pussy Ranch. Recently, I've been getting hits from the web archives of her (since deleted) blog again, so it's top of mind: Pussy Ranch web archive

I know, I know. You've heard enough about Juno already. But for me, the win felt personal. Not only is Ellen Page from my home province of Nova Scotia, but I was, perhaps excessively, excited for Diablo Cody. Watching the awards ceremony I usually care nothing about, I was filled with a chemically reactive mixture of surging pride, tinges of little-sister jealousy, sweet admiration and, finally, when she won, immense relief. And, I cried. She done real good. Real good.

No comments: